Saturday, April 3, 2010

LUCiD: My [Fake] Video Game Trailer

Last semester, Erik Guzman introduced Google SketchUp to us in his Visual Computing class. If you haven't heard of it, it's basically a nuts and bolts 3D modeling program that allows you to quickly and easily visualize complex ideas. (SketchUp is the same program I used to design the Crate/Chair that I finished building today.)

After a few weeks of lessons and assignments it was time to work on the final project for the semester - we were tasked with designing a video game and presenting it in a trailer using SketchUp. I came up with a 3D puzzle game called LUCiD. If you're familiar with the video game world, imagine a cross between Portal, Eternal Darkness, and Psychonauts.

LUCiD: a puzzle experience


I was pretty excited by the logo I made for the game case. Still riding the excitement wave, I wrote a little intro for the back of the case that goes like this:
You’re stuck inside your own twisted psyche. Your world is nothing more than an empty hospital.
Each room is a threat to your sanity. The only way out is by facing the challenges that lie within.
Your guide is a silent man with a ghostly face. His name is red.
Free your mind.

Now I know "free your mind" is super cliche, but it just fit so well that I couldn't resist. Whenever I think about how appropriate that tag line is I still get a little giddy inside. Check out the trailer and you'll see why it fits so well:


1 comment:

  1. might want to add mirror's edge to your list of inspirations. someone at valve needs to give this guy a team of video game developers. after all, portal was created by a handful of college grads. What really stands out to me in your work is your unique ability to convey emotions. As always joey, great work.

    ReplyDelete