Sunday, March 28, 2010

Crate Chair: Mid-Project Progress

We just started working in sculpture class on our final projects made of wood. I've always wanted to make a chair and I thought this would be a great opportunity to do it. Objects that have more than one use pique my interest so I'm making a chair that has more than one function. In short, it's a storage container that transforms between a chair or a small table. 

To begin, I drew up a few sketches to explore ideas. My obsession with squares and cubes led me to doodle a crate that opens up into a chair. I researched simple crate designs and recreated them in 3D. Once I had all the pieces together I began figuring out how I could manipulate them in order for it to open.

Closed crate chair. AKA small table mode.


Open crate chair. The closed phase is on the right.


Once I had the design down I recorded the measurements and began cutting. The majority of the crate is made up of twenty five 2' pieces, which makes the process a lot easier than having many different sizes to deal with.


My progress thus far.


If you're wondering how I'm going to make this seat comfortable (or even sit-able), you'll have to wait for the finished product to find out!

3 comments:

  1. It looks like it can only function as one or the other. Do you have plans to make it function as both storage and chair/table? (mostly the storage and chair aspect) How far is the chair project? i hope to see an update when its done. I'm curious to the outcome. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bry! The chair is complete - it's also in the foundation sculpture show in one of the SVA galleries. Once the showing is over I'm going to do a little photo shoot and show everyone what it looks like. As for your question, yes, it does function as both a seat and a storage compartment. The seat lifts up for storage.

    ReplyDelete