Monday, July 19, 2010

A Strange Wave: My Reaction

A lot can be said in a simple gesture.

Yesterday I was in my building elevator with another person. He was on the phone when I walked in - I think he was talking Korean or Chinese - and it cut out as we headed down. He cursed the phone under his breath and held it up, looking for reception to no avail. I must have been staring, because he turned to me as if I'd said something. So I did.

"Technology, eh?" I huffed (not the deepest comment). Then it was his turn to stare - he looked at me as if I were speaking another language, and that's when I realized I was. I smiled at him and he smiled back. Then the elevator door opened and I was already thinking about where I was heading, our meeting destined to be forgotten, until he caught up and stood in my path.




"Excuse me," he said in semi-broken English. He introduced himself and asked me if I knew of any places to eat around our building. Turns out he just moved in and was starving and completely alone. I started to tell him about the local eateries I fancy but his expression said he was having a hard time following.

"Come with me," I said, and led him outside. We walked a couple of blocks and I pointed out some places, told him what kind of food they had, and how much a good meal was. In between stops he told me that he was a fine artist looking to do computer art and animation. It was difficult to communicate, but we both spoke slowly and managed well enough. After our mini tour we said our goodbyes.

This is where it gets good. When we waved goodbye I did the common American wave in which the elbow is generally near the hip, hand is held up about shoulder height, and the hand moves from side to side once, like a sort of lazy salute. My new friend waved me away completely different. His elbow was head height and his arm arched over his head. He didn't just swipe his hand once like I did, either, but instead waved back and forth like a young wife bidding her sailor husband adieu. I couldn't help but draw a huge smile. His wave seemed so innocent and honest compared to the usual American fare.


The typical American wave, aka the lazy salute.


The one-eyed rabbit exampling the stranger's wave.


As so much was expressed in such a simple gesture, the same can be applied to design. It only takes a slightly adjusted nuance here and there to radically change the mood of a piece of work. All it took was a little raising of the hand by about ten inches and the gesture transcended apathetic detachment to wholehearted sincerity.

Being aware of what we're doing is power unto itself. It's one thing for us to randomly fiddle with colors, type, or layout and get something great, but another thing entirely if the choices we make are intentional and the final product a beautiful blossoming flower of conscious decisions.

So, to the unknowing fellow in the elevator: thank you for reminding me.

3 comments:

  1. excellent, best blog post yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, joey! I like the story. :) ur major is Graphic design, right?
    i think u're so talented. i like ur name card and the thing it says "technology.eh?" lol also, did you draw ur profile pic from facebook?
    as i am not good at working with computer, i have to say, "Good Job!" haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alvin, thanks for the support!

    Song, I'm glad you enjoyed it. =) My major is graphic design (when we had class together in the fall I was still Illustration). Thanks for the kind words! I didn't draw my facebook pic, it's just a tarot card I found that I thought was interesting looking.

    ReplyDelete