Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Guest Bloggers: Insight Into Design

Design is ubiquitous. From brushing our teeth to organizing our lives design plays a role in every process we partake in, and I'm fascinated by the different approaches people have for the things they do. Some of us approach tasks head on, while others are extremely analytical, and still others are an interesting mixture of both. Ultimately, a good piece of art, recipe, product, photo, or anything else we produce is defined by the string of decisions by the creator that led to the final product.

In my discussions one thing has become clear: our outlook on what we do, the method we approach tasks, and the systems we employ (physically and psychologically) directly affect our results and determine our success. Essentially, we succeed or fail before we even start.

I'm happy to introduce guest posts to Digital Barf. I've selected a few friends whom I truly admire for one reason or another and invited them to give us insight into their own process. Part of the email went something like this:

"While none of you are graphic designers, you're all creative in your own fields. This includes writing, cooking, music, drawing, painting, photography, teaching, engineering, business, and being an emergency medical technician. [What you write] can be about your process, a story you'd like to share, or anything else you feel relates to design. In a nutshell, I'd like for you to share your interpretation of design as applied to your field."

I'm excited to see what they come up with, and I hope you'll find their ideas as interesting as I do.

----

Guest Posts:

Narrative Design in Filmmaking, by Iker Maidagan

Design on the Streets, by James Mazza

My Writing Process, by Dennis Santaniello

No comments:

Post a Comment