Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sleeplessness: Exploring the Restless Mind

Last night I couldn't sleep. My mind was racing along without my permission and I couldn't find the brakes. This doesn't happen too often (usually I knock out in minutes), so it really took me off guard. Instead of lying in bed and fighting my sleeplessness I decided to put it to use: I sat down at my desk and free-wrote for 5 minutes, then I opened Illustrator and free-doodled.

I gave myself one rule: no hitting backspace when I was writing and no erasing when doodling. Here's what came out.

Faint, faint of art, or of heart? A desk job drops bricks into the world apart from green meadows. Bugs criss-crawl across the soft prairie, ground like a molten sand shucked smooth. I kid, he jokes, they jest, and when it's over laughs are pardoned from reality, introduced to the optimal profundity of hazard-less living. What? King my King, kid - there you go, and back across the board. Over one, two, four, all of your one dimensional tunnel-visioned shallots. Rake me sliver, forget me not.



No comments:

Post a Comment