Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Alphabet Project: DEF

[Read about the Alphabet Project here.] 

A couple of weeks ago I started posting the alphabet project I've been working on. (Every day I try to design another letter.) Sometimes I sit down with loads of time and don't make anything I like; other times I mess around for five minutes before I have to go out and I make something I love.

I think there's something to be said for that. Whimsy and playfulness seem to be prime ingredients for positive results. The less pressure to produce a good design the easier it slips out. This is one reason why initial concepts are usually outshined by latter ones.

The more we make the less we feel pressured to make. Design #1 is rough because of the fear (and excitement) that motivates us to succeed. Design #14 plops out of us almost unnoticed. It's like slowly entering the ocean on a cold day. The first step is always the worst, but as we walk it gets easier and easier. Before we know it we're swimming.

Here's D, E, and F.



No comments:

Post a Comment