Thursday, April 22, 2010

Maha-Lilo: A Haiti Non-Profit

This is the third time I've been able to lend a helping hand to Haiti and, I have to admit, I'm a little surprised at how easy it is to get involved in positive action. After the earthquake struck I pretty much felt like everyone else, wondering if I could spare a couple bucks and if 100% of it (or even 10%) would get to Haiti.

Then I was asked to help organize and design materials for a fund raiser called Drummers for Haiti; I got the chance to witness what could be achieved by just a few people with solid determination. A few weeks after that I was presented with the opportunity to raise some money through SVA by co-running a Valentine's Day fund raiser, which not only ended in successful generosity towards Haiti, but also towards our fellow students. And earlier this month I was asked to design a logo for a Haiti non-profit group, which I hope unites them well enough to assist in their success.

So here I am, a couple of months later, with a completely different perspective about helping those in need. When tragedy strikes it isn't always a matter of asking myself what can I give, but asking myself what can I do. 

There's an old Haitian proverb that goes, "Men anpil, chey pa lou", which means "Many hands, light load". The idea behind the saying is simple and powerful; if we all lend a hand then no task is too difficult, no goal too lofty. It makes sense, then, that a group of positive thinkers dedicated to providing support to Haiti named their non-profit organization according that mentality.  Maha-Lilo's mission is clear: "to improve the health and well-being of young people in Jeremie and the rural surroundings."

Maha-Lilo was formed in February, 2010, in the aftermath of the earthquake that destroyed much of Port au Prince. Though not physically harmed by the earthquake, Jeremie also felt many of the effects. Much of the aid that was flowing into Haiti was not reaching the Maha-Lilo’s founders’ friends of family. In response, the founders raised funds but also realized that the rebuilding efforts will carry on for many years. In addition, the response would have to involve more than just immediate relief of food, water, and shelter. Maha-Lilo was formed to aid in those efforts.


While still only in the early stages of development, Maha-Lilo has already raised $4,733.66. Please take a look at their burgeoning site and consider aiding their efforts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment