Friday, February 26, 2010

Ericka's House of Elegance: 40(ish) Business Cards

Being productive and hard working are goals most people strive to achieve. Too much productivity and hard work is detrimental to the mind, however. If we don't take a moment every now and then to look up from our work life passes by without us knowing. Submerging yourself in your work is not a bad thing - I think it's great. The key is to know when it's time to come up for a breath. Without the oxygen of experiencing life we suffocate our desire to keep swimming. After a long fall semester I felt a like it was time to come up for a breath.

This past winter break I went to Virginia on a mini road-trip with two friends (Jay and Chris). We had a great time seeing new places and learning about the world outside our own. While there, we met a nice young woman named Ericka who worked at our hotel and helped us find our way around Richmond. When we were leaving Chris happened to mention that I study graphic design. Ericka pulled out her business card and asked me if I could do anything to improve it. I asked her if there was anything specific she was looking for and she asked for only one thing: use purple/pink. I told her I would do my best. This is the card she gave me:


Ericka's original business card.


When I got home, I took a hard look at her card, designed a few drafts, and emailed her:
Happy New Year! I just got back from all the holiday traveling. Attached are four designs. I deconstructed the elements and consolidated/cut items to be more direct with the message you convey. I did this because the less items on your card the more prominence they are allotted. I ended up removing three items: 
  1. "Owner/Stylist" - I removed this because your business name contains your name, so I feel it is implied and the space can be used for better purposes. 
  2. "Now servicing the Greater Richmond, VA area!" - This is taken out because it is better for you to give the consumer less information; let them call you so that you can find out how they got your name, then tell them whether or not you service their area. (In slow times you might be willing to drive a little farther - this way your card doesn't limit you.) This also makes it seem more like an advertisement than a business card. 
  3. "Become a 'Fan' on Facebook" - It is better to give the viewer one internet destination (your site) and direct them to Facebook through your page.  
If you decide that you don't accept these changes, that is fine - just let me know. The designs attached are only the first drafts; please tell me what you think, if you like any, or if you would like to head in another direction.
Ericka agreed with my suggestions and told me what she thought about the designs. Thirty-three emails and forty(ish) designs later, we ended up with one that both of us like.


Here are most of the designs I put together.


This is the final card: a vertical design with lace-like borders.


All-in-all it was a good experience (and a great trip). Ericka was helpful and supportive, which made working for her an enjoyable process.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome design! The portrait layout was a great idea - it really helps the business card stand out in the lineup with its peers. The pink/black/white color scheme and simplicity of the one symbol in the middle add class to it too. Makes it look like she's a real professional.

    Nice job, man!

    ReplyDelete