Thursday, November 18, 2010

A Letter to the Grid

Dear Grid,

I realized something extraordinary as of late. I don't care about you anymore. Please don't take this personally. It's not you, it's me. Maybe we can be friends?

We had a good run, but it's time for me to move on. During our time together I learned a lot from you, I appreciate what you've done for my mind and art, but the days of confinement are over.

I remember the first time we met. There were a few elements askew on a poster I was designing and my friend told me to line them up. "Put them on the grid," she said. And just like that, our relationship began.


Example grids


You and your system of alignments wooed me that day, keeping my information structured and providing organization that supposedly facilitates readability and understanding. What you really did was control me, inviting me to be a part of the "system" just like everyone else.


Example of poster using a grid


My creativity flourished for a while, I'll give you that, but then it waned and puttered out. There's only so much that can be done in the confines of your two dimensional prison cell. I struggled, squirmed, screamed to be released. Then one day I realized the key was in my pocket the whole time:

You are not the rule, merely a tool.

Example of breaking from the grid

You and your lines of confinement may inhibit growth, and I'm through being a layout monogamist.

Sincerely asymmetrical,
Joey Cofone

1 comment:

  1. delightful note; the teacher has released the pupil and set so many more free.

    ReplyDelete